We were going to be a Zelda Group, but everyone kinda got a case of the lazies, so it ended up being a Link, Dark Link, Navi (who's wings I did not spend enough time on and died shortly after we got to the con in costume) and I was Phantom Ganon from WindWaker. I think it came out pretty darn good considering I made it in about a week and a half. I was originally going to do Skull Kid, but I didn't think I could do it justice in such a short amount of time. Some of you might be asking, "Why didn't you start earlier Matrix?" Well I was devoting most of my free time to my Hiccup costume from How To Train Your Dragon 2. I realized that it wasn't going to be done so I switched gears.
Hiccup will come in a future post, this one is about my Phantom Ganon Build.
Here is a reference for those who have never seen him before.
I started with the mask, which all in all is a terrible idea. I always recommend to save the mask/helmet until later in the build.
I was wracking my brain as to how I was going to build this (remember at the time I had under two weeks to start and finish everything). I was playing around with some foam when my wife needed to run to target so I took this as an opportunity to procrastinate further. But alas, inspiration struck while I was trying to sip my Starbucks. I bought a $10 IronMan child's mask. I told my wife I was going to turn it into Ganon and she was like "Okay...."
I started by drawing the facial features that I was going to be adding.
Then I drilled holes all over the mask to help give the Apoxie Sculpt something to stick to.
That little bit of Apoxie Sculpt was to test and make sure it would still work. It had this thick skin on it, but it wasn't anything a little bit of elbow grease couldn't fix.
I stupidly didn't take a picture of this part, but in order to save on weight and Apoxie Sculpt I used pink insulation foam to make a little nose that I then covered in Apoxie Sculpt.
And more sculpting....
This part was really fun. I used EVA foam for the beard and hit the surface with my cutoff disk on my dremel to make it look like hair.
First thing's first, I need to make a template. I doodled one out and cut out a cardboard mockup.
Then I cut it out of foam. Unfortunately I didn't have any foam big enough to make it a single piece so there was a seam... :/
It's also two layers of EVA foam to help hold the shape.
I then trimmed the horns at an angle. Gave it a nice little effect...
And make sure it's the right size...
Now I attached both. Something went... I'm not gonna say wrong because I like that the horns are different, but they are obviously not the same...
I screwed them in through the inside and then added Apoxie Scuplt to the outside as a transition and to hold it in place. This is exactly how I attached my Professor Pyg ears to my mask
Now for black paint.
Next up we make a sword. The sword and mask took up the entire weekend. There are definitely refinements I want to make and things I would do differently if I had more time. The sword is made of pink insulation foam from Home Depot that I had laying around.
First I glued the two pieces of foam together to give it the right thickness. I did it wrong at first, but that's why there are two sides right?
The cut, cut, cut out the sword.
Hmmmm.... needs a cross guard....
Now we add a hole for the handle and measure the length of pvc we need to put in.
Bam! now it has a handle. My wife told me not to do this and to go to sleep, but the stubborn man I am decided who needs sleep. This sword needs a bevel. Here I've marked off where the bevel will be cut.
I used a file at first and let me tell you was that slow. Then I realized I had a coping saw. More tools is always the answer.
Bevel done, now just to sand and add the letters.
I drew out the letters and used this as a guide.
Then, since these are rectangular I just poked a hole with a pen and used those marks to carve out the letters.
Well almost... I don't like that handle so I added foam to give it a more tapered look. Then I covered it in duct tape (shhhhh, don't tell....)
I didn't think to photograph the rest of the process, but I made EVA foam shoulder pads and arm guard. I cut up an old scream costume for the cape and hood and used a bunch of glow in the dark paint on the suit for the glowy blue bits.
I am fairly satisfied for this speed build. Here is a pretty bad picture of me with Fierce Deity Link. I have more that I will add to this post when my wife finishes uploading them from the camera.
Until Next Time,